Translate

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Delicious Lentil and Vegetable Soup

Ok, so two days ago it was my husband's Hebrew birthday (according to the Jewish calendar) and we went out to celebrate.  We had a gift certificate for various restaurants in Israel and we chose an Italian dairy restaurant owned by Frenchies.  Cheating on my low-cholesterol and low sugar diet is probably an understatement here, when describing our meal.  After the antipasti, we proceeded to have butter-slathed cream-drowned pasta dishes that in my eyes were good  (I actually never was into creamy high fat stuff) but in my husbands eyes were amazing. The piece de resistance was dessert--the most delicious creme brulee! Afterwards I saw that this dessert is referred to on the internet as a mini cholesterol bomb.  But you know, some things are just worh it once in a while and this is one of those things!  Did I mention that the owners are French?  So creme brulee is where they exceed and succeed!

 You will not find a recipe for creme brulee here today. Firstly, I am trying to stay healthy and trying to pass on healthy recipes and tips, I also have never made one. At the same time, I am thinking of making a creme brulee cheesecake recipe for my husbands regular birthday which is coming up in a couple of weeks and I may share it if it succeeds.  I am not a hypocrite, just a human being and this blog reflects that.

The Recipe

So when my vegetarian twins went to England last year to stay by my in-laws, my mother in law wanted a list of foods that they would eat.  Amongst other things, I told her that they eat a lot of lentils.  So my MIL found this great vegetable lentil soup which she gave to me, I basically stuck to the recipe with a few minor changes.  It is absolutely delicious and packed with nutritional goodness. I make it all the time! Enjoy!




Ingredients

3 Tablespoons canola oil
1 large onion
2 large cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
2 large carrots, grated
1 cup lentils
6 cups water or vegetable stock
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro or a combination
1 bay leaf
2 cups shredded cabbage
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar (can omit)
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste



Instructions

Heat the oil in a large pot

Add chopped onion, crushed garlic, basil and carrots.  Stir fry for a few minutes and then add the rest of the ingredients.

Stir-fry for a few minutes and then add the rest of the ingredients

Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes, or until lentils are mushy, stirring occasionally.

Healthy and Yummy!





No comments:

Post a Comment