Translate

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Be Proactive with Your Health

Just came back from my second appointment with the dietician.  The truth is that I went with a little bit of trepidation. I was worried she would not be so pleased with me as I haven't been following her plan to a tee.  So I planned out what I would say and how I would say it.  You know that "good news, bad news" method: first you tell the good news and get them happy and then you break the bad news while they're still on the high from the good news.  That way it cushions the "blow".

So, I started to list to Ilana, my dietician, all the lifestyle and diet changes that I have made over the last five weeks since my last meeting with her: two walking dates a week of 40 mins to one hour, two Zumba classes a week, the addition of flaxseed, pomengranate juice, green tea, oats, blueberries, barley, cholesterol lowering yogurt (Danacol) and other sugar and cholesterol lowering foods to my diet, cutting down from two teaspoons of sugar in my coffee to 1/2 to a scant one teaspoon and more, etc.  She was impressed.  When I told her that I am not drinking 10-12 cups a water like she suggested or always eating every three hours, and that I ate creme brulee and creamy pasta for my husband's birthday she wasn't annoyed.

She actually was impressed by all the changes I did make and suggested that I already go have my blood tests done as she was curious to see how these changes have made a difference.  All I can say is phew and maybe after the blood tests whew! She also weighed me and after five weeks I lost 1 pound (500 grams).  My reaction was: "aw shucks" (clean version), her reaction was: well done.  Conclusion:  I am the one being hard on myself not the dietician.

About being proactive, back to my numbers...they're not so bad to begin with.  My sugar is 104 (regular is under 100), my LDL is 140 (again normal is 100 and from 130 is borderline high) but my total cholesterol is 194,which is good and my triglycerides were always fine.  What is my point?  I am 45 (and proud!) and only borderline but now is the time to get things under control before it's too late.

 When was the last time you had blood tests? Go for regular check ups and tests. You may be unaware of health issues you have. Make changes in your diet. It doesn't have to be extreme, but you also need not live off burgers, pizza, schnitzel and Doritos all week long!  Yes, modern medicine has developed all sorts of meds but they have side effects, and do you really want to get to the point of filling your body with chemicals when you can possibly get on top of things now?  Listen, I understand the need for medication in many cases when necessary, but the point is to try to take care of ourselves in a way that will eliminate or at least minimize the need for future medication.

Enough lecturing for today with the exception of one more piece of advice.  Always remember to enjoy life!

My husband Dorron and I enjoying ourselves at the Colosseum in Rome.

No comments:

Post a Comment