Translate

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Classic Potato Salad

I know what you are thinking.  Potatoes?! Even on a pseudo-healthy blog, this seems unacceptable.  I have stressed the whole "eating to lower blood sugar" thing, so where do potatoes come in? Also, what does potato salad have to do with Rosh Hashanah?  The answer to the second question is--nothing.  The answer to the first question is that cold potatoes have actually been found to lower blood sugar as they are a "resistant starch" which is basically a carb that resists digestion and is passed through to the large intestine where it acts as dietary fiber. Consumption of resistant starch has been proven to assist in blood sugar management.

So here I am thinking that potatoes are evil, which they may be when they are hot and they definitely are when they are fried but when they are cold, they are good news!  And you know what's even better? Vinegar, a crucial ingredient in most cold potato salads has been found to help halt the sudden rise or spike of blood sugar that occurs after eating a meal. Not sure how to defend the mayonaisse part of the salad but I use "light" mayonaisse so it's not that bad.  

I actually can probably count on one hand the number of times I made potato salad over the last seven years but now that I've made my "discovery" maybe I will make it more and maybe I'll even make it for Rosh Hashanah (except that my kids don't like it)

Classic Potato Salad

Ingredients

4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
8 pickles (preferably in vinegar not brine, but brine works, too)
1 medium white or red onion or 3 green onions or a bunch of chives
3 heaped Tablespoons light mayonaisse
1 Tablespoon vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sugar or to taste
1 teaspoon salt or to taste.

Instructions

Boil potatoes until soft but firm and chop into 1-inch (2 1/2 centimeter) cubes
Chop pickles and onions finely and add to potatoes
Add the rest of the ingredients

Serve as part of a salad buffet or as a side.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment